Monday, January 07, 2008

Croutons 1, 2, 3

I had some leftover Beckmann's asiago cheese sourdough bread from New Year's Eve. When suddenly, I remembered that I know how to make croutons! An old friend and former roommate of mine, Michelle, taught me how. In case you've never made them yourself, I'm going to show you because it's as easy as 1, 2, 3. Also, they're delicious. When they're hot out of the oven, they're nearly as delectable as a warm chocolate chip cookie.

Start by heating your oven to 400 degrees. Use any type of bread that you have on hand, about 1/3 or 1/2 of a loaf. Stack your pieces together and use a bread knife to cut into bite-sized pieces.

Then, throw the pieces into a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the bread. Add sea salt and freshly-ground pepper. Stir very well, so the bread is coated.

Grab a cookie sheet, and put a piece of aluminum foil on it (easy clean-up). Spread the bread evenly, then place into the oven.

Set your timer for 10 mins and check to see if it's done. I cooked mine for about 12 mins. I wanted the croutons to be golden brown and crispy!

Find an airtight container like a jar, and store your croutons in there. Be sure to eat some first, while they are toasty warm.

When you are ready for a salad, you'll have a delightful ingredient to add. Oh and how about when you have company over? Sure, they've had lettuce, carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers before. But how would they like to know they are eating homemade croutons? (A small warning - if someone is talking to you while you're crunching your croutons, you probably won't be able to hear everything they're saying).

5 comments:

Jessica Nichols said...

This is awesome. Sure I've had those things before but never homemade croutons, you're right! Now I need Breadcrumbs 101 because I don't know how to make them, the mainstream brands (Progresso) have hydrogenated oils and the Whole Foods tiny bag in the bread area costs $6.99. Oh woe is my chicken cutlet recipe which has been languishing in the high price of ignorance!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I remember those croutons! One night while I visited I think we had a single woman's dinner...wine, cheese and croutons. Yum!

Clare said...

I have never known how to make Croutons. How wonderful. They look wonderful Jamie. My mouth is watering.

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

OH!!! Yay yay yay!!!! I want some now!! I just want that whole salad!! heeeee ;) Fab!! Now I know how to make croutons!!!

jolene siana said...

I LOVE croutons!
Those look delicious!

Thanks for your message!
~jolene