Sunday, September 14, 2008

Surf Fridays!



Santa Barbara coastline

Hi friends! I am sorry for posting Surf Fridays so late this week. But it was for a good reason. I was planning on being just a little late, hoping I was going to take some photos of us surfing in Santa Gnarbra...but it seems the whole entire coastline of California is as flat as a sidewalk.

We rushed down to Santa Barbara this weekend so Jay could do his guest lecture at Brooks Institute. Even though Jay has taught at the Academy of Art in SF for the past 6 years, I have never been to any of his classes. This was my first time hearing him speak to a classroom of students, and I was blown away. He is such a natural speaker and I was so interested in everything he was talking about.

He started off by telling the students, "I already have so much respect for you because you're risk takers. You took a risk by enrolling in this school. I bet some members of your family or inner circle said, 'What!? You want to be a photographer?' (Many knowingly nodded their heads and chuckled)."

He continued, "You are kindred spirits. I'm thrilled to be here. I love speaking to young people, but I really love speaking to photography students".

Later, when showing them his series called 'Cali Life', he said, "When I'm shooting this stuff, I'm really just a 14-year old boy with a camera".


A satisfying lunch at La Super Rica

After coming home, we checked the conditions up here. Here is what the surf report from Wise Surfboards had to say: "Overcast skies, no wind, smooth...unfortunately there's not much swell. It's 2-feet, literally. Bring a longboard or a stand up paddleboard - whatever you need for gutless surf."


Vid of nice surf at Rincon earlier this year...

I hope you're all having a good time. What has been the best part of your weekend? Surfers, what kind of fun do you like to have when it's flat?

3 comments:

Watson said...

This post should have been called: "(No) Surf Fridays"
or
"No Surf Since Thursday."

Thanks for the report on SB. Fun trip. Next time Rincon for sure.

Ana said...

:)

I loved the recap of you seeing Jay lecture for the first time. Wish I was a fly on the wall!

Here's hoping for some swell soon!

Surfsister said...

A bunch of us went to breakfast at a Hawaiian place on Sunday. They had surfed. I had opted to stay home and lift weights (which I'm more than happy to do when the surf doesn't cooperate). When it's flat, I just do another workout—weights, swimming, or cycling.