Monday, September 08, 2008

Shakas and Seppos this Saturday!

Saturday, Sept. 13, 7:00pm
Surfindian
~ 4658 Mission Blvd., Pacific Beach, CA


I really wish I could go to Cyrus and Ryan's show this Saturday. If you're local, hook it up and enjoy for all of us who will be there in spirit!

I asked Ryan a few questions to get a better idea of the show...

How did the collaboration with you and Cyrus come together for this show?

Cyrus approached me with the idea. He wanted to have a local artist contribute at the show and we had already been talking about some future projects together. His photographs were taken on location in Australia, while the ones I'm exhibiting were taken in Southern California. The idea would be, to somewhat parallel the film, which is about two different cultures within the surfing community. Also, the Surfindian space has a lot of wall to fill.

How did you choose which prints to show at Surfindian?

I'm trying to paint a picture with the collective of photographs on display. I'm just an average guy who likes to travel and surf more than anything. I find it very spiritual. I like to surf alone and take a break from society and immerse myself in the ocean. I've lived and traveled all over the world, and I've always found it difficult to put into words my experiences when talking to non-surfers. The photography is a way of showing people what it's like to be a surfer... the beautiful and majestic things you see, on just any given day, on your way to the ocean.

I have also been preparing for many months for a solo show in Long Beach at Shelter Surf Shop which is coming up on the 27th. I had too much work for that one show, and it works out perfectly that I can split it up and have a different exhibit at each venue. Both exhibits tell the same story, but are different chapters.


How long will your show be up?

About 3 weeks.


What are you going to wear to the show?

Whatever t-shirt is on top in my drawer.



Under the Sun trailer
Reception at 7:00pm, Film begins at 8:00pm

UPDATE: Ryan's photos from the show available here. I already picked out my favorites.

2 comments:

seamouse said...

Two of the nicest, most talented guys out there.

Wish I was going too!

Joanie + Ryan said...

Thanks guys. You both rock at life.