Sunday, May 13, 2007

Honeysuckle

This is my new honeysuckle plant. I just don't know why I didn't think of getting one sooner. The smell is divine! Do you know how to pinch the end of a honeysuckle flower, pull the piston out carefully, and taste the drop of nectar? Kate knows how to do this. Perhaps I should do a photo demonstration later.

What is your favorite smelling flower? Is it something you already have? If not, try to find it, and plant it in your yard, or in a pot. There are some flowers out there that you'd think you can't grow in your climate, but somehow the flower does well. Lissa grew a tuberose quite successfully in Northern California.

Or perhaps it's not the smell you're after, and you've always longed for a peony or a rhododendron. Maybe it's time to go to your local garden store and discover what your most favorite flower is and bring it home.

Ohhh, maybe you've always wanted a fruit tree! Year after year I think, why don't I plant a cherry seed and an avocado seed in a 1/2 wine barrel, and by the time I own my own home, they will be mature. I've got to finally try this experiment.

7 comments:

Clare said...

We put a honeysuckle in our backyard and it has taken over the entire back fence. It smells just beautiful and is really really easy to maintain. It attracts both hummingbirds and bees. I love it and plan to put one in our new home.

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

I like hearing that Clare! Yummy.

Clare said...

OH, I forgot to answer a question in your post, my favorite smalling flower is the rose. My grandad grew a lot of them and they have a special place in my heart. I also think that magnolia trees are magnificent. That is why I love the South. :)

missmobtown said...

I love love love lilacs. Also a childhood association. I don't think they grow all that great out here, though.

Lissa Hanwright said...

I know how to suck the honeysuckle! And Ella loves to drink them. She can't get enough. Go Jamie!

kate farrall said...

Amen on the Honeysuckle post! It's just getting hot enough up here that ours are starting to fade off but oh boy it was good while it lasted. I can still remember the fort we created --in part out of the honeysuckle bush --from when I was a kid. I'm so excited that you guys have one now!

jennifer said...

yes! the honey suckle--it smells especially good when mixed with star jasmine-unfortunately that combo doesn't work so well in NYC--the jasmine doesn't grow here. other favorite flower smells are all those white flowers that smell better at night--angels' trumpets, and everything citrus.

and, i too, know how to release that nectar-y gob-pure bliss.