Monday, November 27, 2006

NOLA


My family and I lived in Covington, Louisiana from 1978-1986. Covington is a town across the Lake Ponchatrain from New Orleans. I missed my high school reunion this year, but hope to go to NOLA next year to meet with the friends I'd want to see most.

I found this writing in a journal and thought I'd post it. It was from 2004 when I went back for a quick trip with Jay and our friends who live in Houston.

NOLA 9-4-04

I loved going back there. I didn't get too annoyed at the humidity even though sweat was sliding down my back. It felt - the feel of NOLA, the look - the people, felt like part of me I had long forgotten.

It made me happy to be there. I want to take things home - art, food, entire houses on Magazine St. or St. Charles. Weathered faces of old black men, tug at my heart like they did when I lived here.

Plants are lush and evergreen.

The art in House of Blues reminded me of me, and I hope I can focus on that part of who I am as I work on my prints. It is fun and exciting to me and gives me satisfaction and peace - because I don't even care or think about what other people might think about it. That to me, is the secret of art.

Abita beer still tastes like water.

No comments: