Wednesday, May 20, 2009

You're a good town, Pescadero, California








If you're ever in Half Moon Bay, it's worth driving 20 minutes south to the small seaside town of Pescadero. I went there recently so I could go to the one bakery in the world that makes artichoke bread. It's a round loaf of bread - made fresh daily - with artichoke hearts and garlic cloves inside and you finish baking it at home.

I've been there before, mostly on family trips to Duarte's Tavern. My mom loves eating there with its laid back vibe, wood paneled walls and the only place I know of that makes artichoke soup. Their green chile soup is delicious and my brother has figured out how to make it at home, quite well. They also bake their own pies.

My mom likes to go to Pescadero in the summers, to pick ollalliberries (similar to blackberries) at Phipps Country Farm and then she make lots of jam.

I got my bread and was going to head home, but decided to drive down a road I'd never been on, and pretty soon found myself at a goat farm with a dairy shop. I got there in time to watch the feeding of the baby goats, and taste the amazing sundried tomato goat cheese. I like those kinds of adventures.

I also watched a lone surfer at Pescadero State Beach. I had a fantasy of buying property there for Jay and I to escape to and make art, kind of how T. Campbell 1 & 2 are tucked away in the wildnerness just a bit further south...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn I miss the Coastside more than anything. Do you live in HMB? I shoulda never left that place.

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Hey Dub, come back and visit. I think some waves and tasty tacos at Tres Amigos are calling your name.

I live over the hill in San Carlos. Would like to live near the water. It's a goal.

Anonymous said...

Cool Jamie. I know San Carlos well. Used to work over there and it aint bad at all. Better weather too. After 4 years up here commuting an hour and a half for surf I'd move there in a second. Well good luck on Fri. Your right I need to make it back (and god I miss Tres too) hopefully permanetly.

Hasta-

Michael Singman-Aste said...

Wow, it would be worth the trip just for the 10 artichokes for $3!

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

MSA - dude, I know!!!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Happy to say I've been there! And holy S#*T! I think all of us need to take a road trip just for the 10 for $3 artichokes!

Patch said...

A mouth watering moment. Thanks.

pranaglider said...

Michael beat me to it but I second the 10 for 3 buck chokes being a reason in itself.

seamouse said...

You're not the only one that would like a wilderness retreat for art based nonsense. In my head a treehouse would be perfect, trap door entrance and all.

Joe said...

I'm hungry.

Jenny said...

We had the artichoke bread there too, it's fabulous! That's where we built our first driftwood shack too!