Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hopeful

Today is my second day without sugar or coffee, or any sort of "bad for you" foods. I am feeling wonderful. What prompted this was that it was hot this weekend, and when I put on my skirt and tank top, I knew I wasn't at my best - and I was finally ready to take charge...of myself! Of course I want to look beautiful in my wedding dress, too. But I want this to last for the rest of my life. I've gotten into a slump over the last several years and it's time to put a stop to that, and be the best I can be! It's harder not to. (One of my very favorite sayings).

I got my Perricone Prescription book off the shelf, and planned my 3-day program, which will be followed by the 28-day program. My co-worker Lance is doing this right alongside me. I've done other cleanses in the past, which involve only lemonade, maple syrup and cayenne pepper - no food! This one however, is all about healthy food.

First I couldn't wake up and have coffee, as coffee "raises levels of cortisol and insulin, hormones that accelerate aging and store body fat". I am to substitute green tea instead, "which contains catechin polyphenols, antioxidants that boost metabolism and slow aging. Green tea can also block the absorption of bad fats by 30 percent". Sign me up!

Now I love coffee, I love sugar, I love (fill in the blank)...but I am ready, so that's why I can do this now. Hey, when I go to Maui this summer, you can bet I'll have a cup of kona coffee and a pina colada...but I will be able to control myself, as I haven't been so good at that in recent years.

I will post more about my results as time goes by, but I am eating a lot of salmon, spinach, tuna, romaine lettuce with only olive oil and fresh lemon juice, canteloupe with fresh berries, egg whites and oatmeal (not instant). There are also raw hazelnuts involved, olives, chicken, apple and pear. Oh, and a lot of water.

Happy first week of Daylight Savings.

6 comments:

My Bedlam said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

missmobtown said...

hey! that is great.

A site that I am currently obsessed with that you might like now too is
http://www.nutritiondata.com/

I'm loving the extra daylight and happy that I can get back into my after-work walk schedule.

If you ever want to swap recipes, I'm down.

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Thank you both!!

Wow, that nutritiondata site is super cool.

I would love to swap recipes. I will think of a good one this week to mail you.

After-work walking = Awesome

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
Thanks for linking to my blog! Just read your Palo Alto history entry -- Really interesting and well-researched!

Yeah, I've been struggling with coffee for years. It's much, much better now -- usually I have just one cup in the morning, but I would like to eliminate it altogether one of these days. Drinking tea is a great idea. After the morning coffee, I switch to green tea, which I love too. I really like loose green tea in an iron teapot. I actually did bring one to work when I worked in an office, and it was very helpful for getting through the mid-afternoon "slump" when I would have been tempted to drink more coffee.

Severely cutting back on sugar has been incredibly helpful for me as well energy-wise; I just feel much better than when I was eating more of it. Sounds like a great plan -- good luck!!

Jen

Joni Taylor said...

How can you NOT be beautiful in your wedding dress? I am coffee-addicted. No Peet's and I am a bear. Especially since all my riding buddies are coffee-aholics! I admire your will-power! You will be lovely on your wedding day though---of that I have no doubts!

Bill Boese said...

Great stuff! Thanks for the tip, I've got to try this myself. Working from home all day surrounded by coffee and food has been a problem.

Good luck!