Friday, January 05, 2007

Shopping Sabbatical

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070103/ap_on_re_us/shopping_sabbatical

This article from yesterday's news has inspired me, Jay, my Mom, Jess and Clare. I think we are all going to be talking about this for awhile and sharing ideas. For example my Mom and I are going to each come up with 10 ideas for hand-made gifts and share them. If we come up with anything good, I'll post it here.

I'd like to try this experiment 3 months at a time. I know I will probably buy a couple of things, but I'd like to really concentrate on this. It's an excellent challenge. It's starting to change the way I've been dealing with money. I can save more than I have been. I am also interested in finding ways to make more. Whether that be a future job that pays more, or selling art. Sometimes I participate in those research things where they pay you $25 for 30 minutes to taste a new soda or candy. That's kind of fun.

Let's keep the ideas flowing! Doing things like this will really make us feel rich inside. I know that if I turn my focus inward and focus on training for a race or making art, making photo albums, cooking, growing a garden...I will feel more rewarded than buying a new purse. Aw, who am I kidding. I love shopping.

Evil laugh! No, I can do it! Plus, my goodness, I have a little wedding and honeymoon to save up for.

4 comments:

Clare said...

So help me out. I have to plan for Rayleens 1st birthday. Of course I am buying fresh food but for the decorations... I have a 1st candle, do I just forget spending money on special napkins, banners, etc because she doesnt know the difference and just use regular napkins and plates OR is that not really a way to save money because its a special day?

Jessica Nichols said...

yes save the money this year. get hats and/or a banner but not the plates, napkins, cups. the first birthday party is really a celebration for the parents, the babies are so clueless. in fact, save the money every year you can. you can celebrate without the napkins, i promise! without the whole line (banner, cups, plate, napkins) it highlights the few special pieces you do buy anyway.

Jessica Nichols said...

ps you can get colored plates and napkins. that's what i did for jaden's birthdays. i just don't do it all in the "theme."

My Bedlam said...

Have you checked out or heard about http://www.freecycle.org/?

~R