Friday, July 04, 2008

Surf Fridays!

The beach in Lahaina, Maui where I learned to stand-up paddlesurf
If you go, call the guys at Hi-Performance Surf and they'll hook you up


This was the most delicious lunch I've ever had
Paia Fish Market


In just 3 weeks Jay and I will have our one year wedding anniversary and I've been thinking back about our wedding and honeymoon. It was heavenly and one thing I got to do on our honeymoon in Maui was learn to stand up paddlesurf (SUP). I fell in love with it and of course, now I want my own paddleboard. It's an ancient sport and nice for summer when the conditions are smaller. I should mention that it was not as easy at it looked. It really engages your whole body and your core needs to be really stable.

I want to be in a race someday too, maybe on a paddleboard prone. There is a 9 mile race next Sunday in Maui. Doesn't that look like fun? Then there's the 32 mile race from Molokai to Oahu at the end of this month. That looks a little more daunting. Here's a video of a 7 mile race in Maui.

Gerry Lopez said, "Anyone who has surfed knows that surfing is about 90% paddling. The only good thing about it, other than getting you from here to there out in the surf, is being in shape for it. Whether you are an expert surfer or just beginning, mastering the paddleboard technique is the first step to improving your game. Paddleboard racing was one of the greatest sports in Hawaii when Captain Cook first came, yet its origins go back to the ancient times and old legends. It may be an old sport but its benefits and the enjoyment it gives make it a valuable part of the surfing lifestyle."

Our summer vacation is starting to become defined and we may end up paddleboarding in Lake Tahoe. I've been to Lake Tahoe many times but have never been in the lake and I think this would be an awesome way to explore it.

In the meantime, I'm going to watch videos of Laird Hamilton doing it, and others like this one below.




Alright, like everyone else in the U.S., time to get cookin' for a BBQ!

3 comments:

Marie Louise said...

Congratulations on YOUR upcoming Anniversary and thanks for visiting my blog. Maui is one of my favorite places - have you ever done the hike through Haliakula volcano? Like being on another planet. You are much braver than I, having tried to surf - that's just too much coordination for me!

Joanie + Ryan said...

Hey Jamie, Tahoe rules...just got back... did some kayaking on the glassy lake... beautiful...

Dyan said...

I love this picture of the ocean and the sky- there's so much beauty to enjoy in nature.
Dy