Friday, May 23, 2008

Surf Fridays!

Mark your calendars on June 20, 2008. Why? Because that's International Surfing Day! It's a day created by both Surfing Magazine and Surfrider Foundation, to promote surfing and clean, healthy beaches all around the globe.

Everyone is encouraged to catch a wave that day and then clean up the beach before heading to get tacos! I will be taking that day off and heading to the beach with Mr. Watson, which I will document for the June 27 ed. of Surf Fridays!

Are there any people out there who've always wanted to surf but just keep putting it off? "Oh I'll learn someday". Well those people (Jeff N.) might want to take that day off too. Or start acting like a hard core surfer and call in sick. Just kidding.

Now here is a fifteen year old surfer from Hawaii. Her name is Carissa Moore and she's won eleven national titles. She started learning how to surf when she was only four. Here is a little more info about her from Surf Like a Girl:

Why I surf: I surf because it is a really good challenge and it is a really good way to spend time with my family. Overall, I surf because I absolutely love it. I love everything about it: the water, riding the waves, paddling, the sun. I love surfing because it is the only sport that [lets you] travel all over the world and surf in beautiful places.
What I've done to make the world a more environmentally friendly place: I try to pick up some trash each time I go to the beach, I also have some contests on my website to try to get people to pitch in and clean up. We also have a worm farm!
Advice for people to live "green": Take care of the land and in return the land will take care of you.
Words to live by: Go big or go home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go big or go home? Those waves were clean 4 ft waves. Obviously the words have a different meaning coming from her than if it came from Laird.

That is great footage. Love the sound! Makes me want to surf right now.

Also, "go surfing day" does not have to happen only once a year.

Long live surf fridays,
Slater

Anonymous said...

Carissa was recently awarded a wildcard by Nike into the recent WQS Men's competition at Trestles. That's how good she is and how respected she is as a surfer. Some have called her the next "Slater." Since Slater just posted to this blog, I wonder what he thinks?

Mrs.French said...

I would love to try...the fear and getting eaten by a sea creature keep me from it.

jnichols959 said...

sick, sick riding. love her style. kinda technical, smooth and powerful.