Friday, October 05, 2007

A week in yearbooks - 10th grade

add-a-bead necklaces were really popular

tennis team!

Spanish club, La Tertulia

Jane Hill, a sweet friend who currently lives in Louisiana and has horses


The Spanish club got to go to the French Quarter for their big field trip. This was because the French Quarter had a couple of huge fires that roared through it in the late 1700's, leaving much of the buildings in ruin. The Spanish rebuilt the Quarter, so what you see when you go there is Spanish architecture. I remember having to explain this to people in the French club at school, because they didn't know why we'd be going there on our field trip. Their big excursion was a trip to the Sacré Coeur in New Orleans - ha ha, boring! I seem to recall the French club were inclined to think they were slightly more dignified than the Spanish club.

Sophomore year was a lot of fun. Going to high school was a fresh start, but being a freshman was so intimidating! The seniors were allowed to make fun of us of course. Wow, they had boyfriends and they could work the sock-hops and mingled at the pep rallies like nobody's business. Getting to 10th grade meant that you built up a little more confidence and basically, you weren't the freshmen anymore. I liked my psychology and english classes, and I liked getting my driver's license!

Back then, you could have your license when you were 15. My mom still made me ride the bus to school or catch a ride with somebody else. A couple of girls got a brand new bimmer and VW rabbit convertibles as their birthday gifts that year (a lot of oil money in the south). As a result, some high-schooly 'what really matters' lessons from Mom.

Mom would let me drive by myself to get her something at the grocery store however, and I loved that freedom and singing along to the radio - songs like True, Wrapped Around Your Finger & Missing You.

This was also the year that I got my braces off and kissed a boy named David Buras. He called one day and romantically told me that the song Hello reminded him of me. The next time I heard it on the radio I thought, that's such a sad song! Melt with You, now THAT was a romantic song!

No comments: