Monday, October 01, 2007

Apple pies

we each peeled 27 apples, which Mom got from a friend's tree

just stirred with cinnamon & sugar

ready for the oven

50 minutes later & the whole house smelled great

sent home with a People mag and an extra pie for freezing -
hot damn!



Boy am I fortunate. Last weekend I learned how to bake banana bread and this weekend my Mom taught me how to bake apple pies. Someday, when I learn how to make a good gumbo, I'll be a rock star.

Mom had never before baked pies with anyone else at the same time, and we both had a lot of fun.

I thought that making crust was going to be so hard, but it wasn't! Peeling the apples was fun, too. While our first ones were baking, we each made a second one. That one goes in the freezer and when company comes, all we have to do is put it in the oven.

I stopped off at the store for some vanilla ice cream and Jay just loved it. He sure is lucky!

Apple Pie Recipe ala Betty Crocker

¾ c. sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

6-7 c. apples

1 1/3 tbs. butter cut in sm. pieces.

Mix well. Add 'dots' of butter on top of filled pie.

...and crust recipe here, the way my grandma made hers.

2 comments:

sulu-design said...

I'm so glad that you posted this. I've never made a pie totally from scratch. You've inspired me - it's gonna happen soon!

kate farrall said...

Yea for a yummy fall apple pie-making session!