Friday, November 21, 2008

Surf Fridays!

I'd like to share some of the awesome birthday gifts I received this week, parts of which will no doubt make their way into future Surf Fridays...

I can't wait to read this one. It's supposed to be a great book, with important messages about our environment. Reviews here.

Fantastic photos and graphics in this one -
I heart Taschen books and surprisingly did not know this one existed!

My Mom found this early 1970's book at her local library sale.
It's got tons of beautiful and very 'real' images.

And last but definitely not least, is the gift that made me start talking really fast and animated - because this is the beginning of one of my life dreams...to collect old surf movie posters! And it's signed by John Severson! (Surfer, filmmaker, artist, photographer and he founded Surfer Magazine in 1960). Apparently Mr. Severson purchased a few items from my step-dad's eBay shop, the two got to talking...and this is the result.

Drew Kampion wrote, "Before John Severson, there was really no surf art, no surf magazines, no real surf films, no surfwear industry, no pro surfing, no Surfrider Foundation, no surf culture as we know it. In a very large sense, he made it all happen by synthesizing the sport of surfing into various expressions of his art."

Here's a short clip from Severson's 1969 film, Pacific Vibrations. John Severson wanted to make a statement with his last film, which he calls his swan song - by bringing the viewer's attention to our ocean and our environment.

Some of the surfers featured in this film are Mickey Dora, Bill Hamilton, Jock Sutherland and Spyder Wills. A few of the locales include Huntington Beach, Rincon and Maui and it has a super groovy soundtrack.



For a longer clip of this film, including interviews with John Severson, go here. I hope your weekend is full of good vibrations!

4 comments:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Happy belated birthday. I know several people who have read the Yvon Chouinard book + loved it.

In your neck of the woods is an AMAZING printer/ miniture book binder couple, Peter + Donna Thomas. They are obsessed with vintage Hawaii + all their books reflect this love. You should check out some of their stuff AND they are the absolute nicest people. He has a letterpress print shop + told me if I was ever in the area...Generous, and gracious. Can you tell I am a fan?
http://www.baymoon.com/~ukulelebooks/

Danimal said...

The Yvon Chouinard book is great. I was fortunate enough to hear him speak while I was in college. He gave a lecture on campus that was very inspiring to see a "business man" who ran things the way he wanted, and never compromised his vision.

slidelines said...

happy birthday to you

seamouse said...

I get given that Taschen book pretty much every birthday and christmas by someone. Despite me giving them away I must still have about 6 copies! Happy Birthday J. Keep on Rockin'